UC tentatively extends contract with postdoctoral workers union

By Rupan Bharanidaran

The University of California and the postdoctoral workers union tentatively reached an agreement Thursday that would extend their current contract through September 2016.

United Auto Workers Local 5810, which represents more than 6,000 postdoctoral researchers in the UC, has been negotiating its contract with the University since May, said UC spokesperson Rebecca Trounson.

Trounson said UAW 5810 and the UC agreed to extend the contract for a year instead of negotiating a new one because a U.S. Department of Labor proposal to change overtime rules could change conditions.

The contract extension includes about a 6 percent wage increase as it follows the National Institutes of Health’s recommendations on pay. The contract also ensures that international postdoctoral students can participate in their dismissal review processes.

The University and the union also agreed to create a committee to look into how to provide childcare assistance for postdoctoral students.

The union will vote on the agreement within the next two weeks, and if passed, both parties will begin negotiating the next contract in June 2016.

Compiled by Rupan Bharanidaran, Bruin reporter.

Rupan Bharanidaran | Alumnus
Bharanidaran was the News editor from 2017-2018. He was previously a news reporter for the campus politics beat, covering student government and the UCLA administration.