USAC delays reply to “Kanye Western” until cultural groups respond

By Melody Teng

The undergraduate student government discussed steps to combat racial ignorance Tuesday but decided to withhold actions until cultural organizations respond to the “Kanye Western”-themed party.

Many students expressed concern and criticized the party hosted lasted week by the UCLA Sigma Phi Epsilon fraternity and the Alpha Phi sorority. Students came to the party dressed in baggy clothing, padded lips and bottoms.

Afrikan Student Union members said they thought the attire satirized stereotypical black culture, according to an ASU statement released last Monday.

Cultural Affairs Commissioner Amy Shao said she thinks the party planners chose to target Kanye West not for his celebrity status but rather his race.

She said the Undergraduate Students Association Council is waiting to respond to the incident until they hear from the cultural organizations whose members were affected most, including students from ASU, because USAC did not want to overshadow any initiatives from cultural organizations.

Shao added the discussion was not a direct response to the isolated incident but rather to address the continuous problems of racial and cultural insensitivity on campus. During the discussion, Shao addressed the issue of cultural ignorance and defined the distinction between cultural appropriation and appreciation.

“Cultural appropriation reflects ignorance and takes place when there is no attempt to understand why certain cultural customs exist,” Shao said.

Academic Affairs Commissioner Trent Kajikawa said he thinks issues of racism have been especially prevalent on campus since 2011, and there should be more programming events to hold students accountable for their actions.

USAC President Heather Rosen said she thinks the incident should be dealt with from an educational perspective that can allow students to be more aware of their actions. Rosen urged councilmembers to go to the UC Regents meeting on Oct. 26 to encourage UC officials to implement cultural sensitivity policies.

Janay Williams, a fifth-year ecology and evolutionary biology student and chairperson of ASU, said she thinks the USAC’s actions in addressing the wider racial problems on campus have been insufficient.

Williams said she thinks UCLA’s Greek communities should implement anti-discrimination policies. She added she thinks the Cultural Affairs Commission should consult members from student cultural organizations for the presentation.

Alicia Frison, a third-year philosophy student and programming coordinator of ASU, said she was skeptical of USAC’s ability to lead the discussion because councilmembers may not have background in social justice training.

Frison said despite what she calls USAC’s lacking response she appreciates any contribution from student government leaders to work toward solving the problem.

“Every bit of effort helps contribute,” Frison said. “No work is done in vain, no matter how small.”

General Representative Anais Amin admitted USAC’s actions have been more reactive rather than proactive.

“This historically-perpetuated cycle needs to be stopped,” Amin said. “Beside reacting, we need to start preventing.”

Shao said her office will host a yearlong event beginning Oct. 20 called Culture Talks that aims to promote discussions on cultural topics. While cultural appropriation was intended to be next quarter’s event theme, Shao’s office decided to discuss it this quarter in light of the recent event, she added.

Frison said she thinks events or programs the student government hosts should include representatives who reflect the diversity of the student body.

She said she hopes the student government will launch more educational initiatives in the future.

“Punishing those responsible for the incident would only detract the emphasis on education, which allows students to learn how and why ignorance is rooted,” Frison said.

Melody Teng