LAPD finds no threat after alleged hostage incident on Tiverton Avenue

Police said Tuesday night they found no threat after a five-hour long search for a man who allegedly had a woman held hostage earlier that day. (Angie Wang/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Police said Tuesday night they found no threat after a five-hour long search for a man who allegedly had a woman held hostage earlier that day.

A woman called police about 3:30 p.m. reporting her roommate was being held hostage by her former boyfriend, said Tina Nieto, captain of the West Los Angeles Division of the Los Angeles Police Department.

Nieto said police were able to determine early in their investigation there was no hostage situation, but the armed man may have barricaded himself in one of the apartment complexes on Tiverton Avenue.

LAPD SWAT teams, firefighters and ambulances arrived about an hour after the call at Tiverton Avenue, which remained closed during the search. Glendon Avenue and parts of Weyburn Avenue were also closed for several hours.

Nieto said the woman was found safe, and police did not find the man or a weapon.

“I just want to let the community know that it is safe, UCLA is safe and we don’t have any worries for looking for this guy in the area,” Nieto said.

One of the people involved in the incident was a UCLA student, Nieto said.

Nieto added the Los Angeles District Attorney’s office will decide whether the man committed a criminal act.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.