Officials install signs to help visitors navigate Westwood

The Westwood Village Improvement Association spent about $200,000 to add close to 70 wayfinding signs around the Village. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

Westwood officials installed their first wave of wayfinding signs last week in an attempt to help visitors navigate Westwood Village.

The Westwood Village Improvement Association, also known as the BID, spent about $200,000 to add 26 small signs meant for pedestrians, 42 larger signs meant for cars and three directories, said Andrew Thomas, executive director of the BID.

Thomas said the BID wants visitors to know more about the attractions in Westwood Village and make it easier for them to know where they are.

Some small signs were added last week, and the rest of the small ones and the larger signs will be installed this week, Thomas said.

Each sign will include directions to popular destinations, such as the Hammer Museum on Wilshire Boulevard and the Regency Bruin Theatre on Broxton Avenue.

Thomas added the cost will also cover the installation of illuminated directories, similar to the ones on Kinross Avenue and Westwood Boulevard, but the BID has not yet decided where the directories will be installed.

The contract with the fabricating company that will manufacture the signs costs $45,000, and the signs themselves cost a total of $150,000, Thomas said.

Thomas added the Los Angeles Department of Transportation will also fund the addition of dynamic signs on streets that will count empty street parking spaces. LADOT plans to implement the signs by the end of the year.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.