UCLA punter arrested on suspicion of rape, suspended from team

UCLA redshirt sophomore backup punter Adam Searl was arrested Thursday for allegedly raping another student. (UCLA Athletics)

By Roberto Luna Jr. and Tanner Walters

UCLA backup punter Adam Searl was arrested Thursday for allegedly raping another student.

Searl met the student at an off-campus party last October, police said. Searl accompanied her to a residence, where she fell asleep and woke up to him sexually assaulting her.

Searl, 20, was taken into custody Thursday on three charges of rape and released later that day, after posting $300,000 bail.

UCLA football coach Jim Mora suspended Searl indefinitely from the team.

“We have been informed of the situation involving Adam Searl, and we take these accusations very seriously,” Mora said. “Due to the ongoing police investigation, we are unable to discuss this matter further.”

The redshirt sophomore most recently appeared in last weekend’s Arizona State game and has five total punts this season. He played in six games last season.

About two years ago, former offensive tackle Torian White was also arrested on suspicion of sexual assault. White left the UCLA football program and was dismissed from the university in May 2014.

Searl will be arraigned Oct. 29 after 8:30 a.m. at the Airport Courthouse in Los Angeles.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Angie Wang and Tanner Walters, Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.
Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.