Men’s water polo stays energized for SoCal tournament

Senior attacker Chancellor Ramirez has consistently contributed on offense for the Bruins over the course of the preseason. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Savannah Shapiro

UCLA men’s water polo hasn’t lost a game in September since 2012.

Similar to years’ past, the Bruins had a successful month of water polo in the month of September, currently trying to extend their 13-game winning streak.

The No. 1 Bruins (13-0, 1-0 Mountain Pacific Sports Federation) are now approaching what is arguably the toughest part of their season in the upcoming SoCal tournament, and have shown no sign of slowing down.

“The goal through our season is to be the best at the end,” said coach Adam Wright. “Every weekend you have to be your best, that’s the way men’s water polo works.”

Contrary to the seemingly demanding schedule that UCLA has faced since the beginning of its season, having played 18 total games within a matter of nine days, the Bruins say that weariness has not been a factor among the team.

“Our coaching staff does a really good job of being efficient throughout the week to keep us fresh for the games,” said junior attacker Ryder Roberts. “It’s on us to take time to get our rest when we have our mornings off or when we have time going into the trainer to get work (in).”

The consistent daily practices, the demands of school and the amount of time spent traveling should not be underestimated. The goal, however, is simple: Stay healthy and adjust.

“It’s all on you. The opportunity to stay fresh throughout the whole season is definitely there as long as you take advantage of the hours,” Roberts said. “Then we should be good throughout the whole season. It’s on us to really take care of our bodies and be ready every week.”

The upcoming SoCal tournament will be the final invitational of the season, and the last tournament in which the Bruins will have to compete against the unranked Pomona-Pitzer (6-7) and either UC Irvine (9-2, 1-0) or No. 9 Pepperdine (7-6, 1-1) in the first day of the tournament.

“It’s so many games in a week and there’s so much preparation time,” Wright said. “And there’s not a lot of turnaround time for the guys to recover.”

The undeniable excitement that courses through the men’s water polo team has been evident since the beginning of the season. That excitement has surpassed the exhaustion and the main concern as of now is staying fresh and healthy through the remainder of the season.

“It’s pretty early in the season so fatigue hasn’t set in at all,” said junior defender Chancellor Ramirez. “We are very excited still – especially with the SoCal tournament coming up.”

Savannah Shapiro | Alumna
Shapiro joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2015 and contributed until 2018. She spent time on the women's water polo, men's water polo and baseball beats.