Women’s soccer suffers slow start after seniors graduate

The women’s soccer team has gotten off to a rocky start to the season, falling out of the national rankings after starting the year at No. 4. The Bruins’ record thus far is 5-6, and they will play three more ranked teams. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Korbin Placet

UCLA women’s soccer has fallen far from the national prominence it held last year. After starting the preseason as the No. 4 team in the country, the Bruins have since tumbled out of the rankings and are no longer considered a contender.

The team is 5-6-0 – the worst record for a UCLA women’s soccer team since 2010 – and the Bruins could possibly take a couple more losses as they are set to play three more ranked teams in Arizona, California and Stanford.

A large part of UCLA’s offensive woes can be attributed to an inability to fill the void left by graduated midfielders Sam Mewis and Sarah Killion.

Mewis, in her central attacking midfielder role, was the clear focal point of last year’s offense. She would often draw double-, and sometimes triple-teams, helping open up her teammates on the flanks, but her biggest impact on the Bruin offense was her ability to score. Mewis ended the season with a team-high 16 goals – a product of her ability to strike the ball effectively from range and from tight angles.

While Mewis was the focus of UCLA’s offense, her co-captain Killion was the anchor of the team. The deep-lying playmaker’s most valuable asset was her passing ability, not just in terms of range and accuracy, but also in her ability to read the field and place her teammates in the best goal-scoring positions.

The defensive midfielder showcased her exceptional vision in a standout 2014 performance against Loyola Marymount, as her three assists tied UCLA’s all-time single game record in a 4-1 victory.

The midfield was not the only unit depleted by graduations. UCLA also lost plenty of offensive help in former left back Caprice Dydasco and former right back Ally Courtnall.

web.sp.10.6.wsoccer.MB.PicB.jpg
Senior forward Taylor Smith is part of a women’s soccer attack that has been forced to cope with the losses of several key pieces, as two key midfielders and two impressive fullbacks graduated this past year. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin senior staff)

Both Dydasco and Courtnall epitomized the qualities of modern fullbacks, possessing the speed, stamina and crossing ability to charge up the field when the Bruins were on the attack. Both players showed great efficiency in one-on-ones with opposing fullbacks or wingers; Dydasco would often evade tackles with fancy footwork, while Courtnall used her speed to blow past opponents.

Courtnall and Dydasco were part of a Bruin back four that for many weeks held the top spot nationally in goals allowed, overshadowing their contributions as additional offensive players on the wings, capable of making crucial crosses and cuts.

UCLA has had a tough schedule thus far, having already played No. 1 North Carolina and No. 3 Virginia. Those losses are understandable. On the other hand, defeats at the hands of Long Beach State, Texas, Washington and Washington State were unexpected.

With so much talent departing, though, perhaps expectations were just too high.

Compiled by Aubrey Yeo and Korbin Placet, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.