Men’s tennis continues fall tournament season

(Jintak Han/Daily Bruin)

By Korbin Placet

The men’s tennis team is doing overtime this fall as they continue their professional tournament campaign.

Junior Mackie McDonald, the No. 3 college player in the nation, earned a wild card into the main draw of the Tiburon Challenger last Sunday. In the first round, he defeated Frederik Nielsen 6-4, 6-4.

The difference in the match was in the second serve, where McDonald won 70 percent of his second serves. His opponent was only able to win 43 percent.

In the second round, McDonald endured a three-set match against Sekou Bangoura, eventually winning in the tie breaker. After being down a break, early in the third and decisive set, McDonald broke back and pushed the set to a tie breaker. He would end up winning 6-3, 3-6, 7-6(3).

McDonald will move on to the quarterfinals set to begin Friday.

The rest of the UCLA men’s tennis is traveling to Tulsa, Okla., for the ITA Men’s All-American Championships.

Senior Karue Sell and sophomore Martin Redlicki both earned spots in the main draw of the tournament, while redshirt senior Ryoto Tachi, junior Joe Di Giulio and sophomore Austin Rapp will all be in the qualifying draw.

Sell and Di Giulio will be in the main draw for doubles.

The ITA Men’s All-American Championships will start on Oct. 3 and will continue through Oct. 12.

Compiled by Korbin Placet, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.