Women’s soccer looks to channel momentum against Washington

Freshman Hallie Mace logged minutes for UCLA women’s soccer in recent matchups. As a rookie, Mace helps make up a strong rookie Bruin defense. (Aubrey Yeo/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Nicole Becannon

The UCLA women’s soccer team has yet to win more than two consecutive games thus far, nor have they managed more than two goals in a single match, but it now has the opportunity to change course.

Coming off two wins against Pepperdine and Oregon, unranked UCLA (5-4-0) will continue Pac-12 play versus Washington (7-1-1) in Seattle on Thursday.

The Bruins will see the return of forwards junior Darian Jenkins from a shoulder injury and senior Taylor Smith from a two-game suspension, strengthening their chances of putting numbers on the board.

Smith’s speed and ability to charge the net have earned her two goals this season, playing with a competitive edge that the team often lacks otherwise. However, UCLA still searches for an effective attack strategy as they struggle to push end line and put the ball in the net.

The Huskies have a dangerous midfield featuring junior Amanda Perez and sophomore Shannon Simon, who have eight goals combined for the season – only two less goals than the entire UCLA team has scored. Though armed with Smith and other top scorers junior midfielders Annie Alvarado and Lauren Kaskie, the Bruins have struggled to score since the season’s opener.

UCLA has found a strong defense led by young players on the team. Freshman Hailie Mace sees plenty of time on the field, contributing to a successful defensive line. The team said Mace has been a valuable addition to their roster.

Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Arielle Schechtman made her starting debut in the shutout against Pepperdine, and stood in goal once again in the shutout against Oregon. Her back-to-back shutouts and her tall, 5-foot-10 presence in goal makes Schechtman a viable second starter alongside redshirt junior Cassie Sternbach.

Washington has managed three shutouts of its seven wins, giving the UCLA defense a run for its money. The Huskies’ goalkeeper Megan Kufeld is a redshirt senior with over three years of experience guarding the net.

A win on Thursday will not be an easy feat for the Bruins. UCLA will be looking to hold on to its winning record and give Washington its second loss of the season.

Compiled by Nicole Becannon, Bruin Sports contributor.

Nicole Becannon