Tanner’s Take: Fall sports power rankings – Oct. 1

By Tanner Walters

It’s the middle of week one for most of the UCLA campus, but for fall sports teams it’s currently the middle of the fall season. To get caught up on everything you’ve missed since August, here are my midseason fall sports power rankings.

1. Men’s water polo
Record: 11-0
National ranking: No. 1
In brief: Still good, like usual.
My take: If I had made preseason power rankings in August, the men’s water polo team would have topped the list. Obviously, things haven’t changed much as the Bruins have an undefeated record entering October. Coach Adam Wright has taken a championship-caliber team and really tested his depth by playing different lineups on an almost-daily basis. The top-ranked Bruins have plenty of wins over unranked teams like Chapman last weekend, but they’ve also defeated powerhouses Cal and Stanford.
Up next: Friday, Oct. 2 at Pepperdine

2. Football
Record: 4-0
National ranking: No. 7
In brief: National hype overload.
My take: The Bruins are undefeated but they’ve had plenty of losses – to injury, that is. Junior linebacker Myles Jack’s impact will be missed the most, but UCLA temporarily dispelled any fears with its 56-30 demolition of then-No. 16 Arizona last week. Will the team continue that play over the coming months? We’ll just have to wait and see.
Up next: Saturday, Oct. 3 versus Arizona State

3. Women’s volleyball
Record: 10-2
National ranking: No. 11
In brief: ‘SC beatdown, quick rebound.
My take: After its impressive eight-game win streak was snapped by USC in front of thousands at Pauley Pavilion, UCLA responded by dismantling Cal in Berkeley. The Bruins are back to their winning ways as Pac-12 play gets fully underway. I know some of my fellow editors are high on this squad, and I tend to agree. If UCLA gets the chance, it might just surprise some teams.
Up next: Friday, Oct. 2 versus Washington

4. Men’s cross country
Record: Two meets – first place, first place
National ranking: No. 11
In brief: Veteran success.
My take: They might not get enough respect, but the Bruins are fielding one of their strongest teams in recent memory this fall. In two early-season meets, UCLA has paced the field with a pair of first place finishes. The team might not be able to beat perennial powerhouses like Colorado or Syracuse, but expect a top-ten finish from the men.
Up next: Friday, Oct. 2 at Washington Invitational

5. Men’s soccer
Record: 4-4-0
National ranking: Unranked
In brief: Things are looking up.
My take: Back-to-back wins brought the Bruins back to .500 after a rough September in which they plummeted from the No. 1 spot in the national rankings. Pac-12 play begins this weekend as UCLA travels to play unranked Oregon State and No. 15 Washington, so the real tests start now. The Bruins need to string together some wins to save this season
Up next: Friday, Oct. 2 at Oregon State

6. Women’s soccer
Record: 5-4-0
National ranking: Unranked
In brief: Recovery mode.
My take: Like the men’s team, the women fell dramatically at the season’s outset. The Bruins have won three of their last four games, including their Pac-12 opener at home against Oregon. UCLA will need to figure out its offense quickly, however, or else tougher opponents will bury it early.
Up next: Thursday, Oct. 1 at Washington

7. Women’s cross country
Record: Two meets – fourth place, second place
National ranking: Unranked
In brief: Youth movement.
My take: Unlike the experienced men’s squad, the women’s cross country team is facing a lot of roster turnover this fall. In the Bruins’ season-opening meet, they struggled to a fourth-place finish, but recovered for second place in the next. The season outlook will be clearer once UCLA starts racing on a more consistent basis.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.