Quarterback Josh Rosen converts third-down struggles into efficiency

UCLA football coach Jim Mora goes up to freshman quarterback Josh Rosen after a 56-30 win over the University of Arizona Saturday night. (Austin Yu/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Matt Joye

Third down spelled doom for Josh Rosen two Saturdays ago.

The freshman quarterback had just one completion on seven third-down passing attempts against BYU, totaling nine yards. He was flustered in the pocket several times, throwing a key interception on a third-and-six play from the BYU 20-yard line late in the first half.

Overall, UCLA finished the BYU game with a third-down conversion rate of 11.1 percent. That inefficiency nearly cost the Bruins, who managed to escape with a 24-23 win.

Just one week later, the story couldn’t have been more different for Rosen and No. 7 UCLA (4-0, 1-0 Pac-12).

On the first drive of the game, Rosen faced a key third-and-nine opportunity from the Arizona 44-yard line. Instead of forcing a pass, Rosen took matters into his own hands and ran for the first down, lowering his shoulder in the process.

“The only times that I’m really going to go for (the run without sliding) is on third downs in critical times,” Rosen said. “Obviously the first quarter is not a game-saving drive or anything, but I thought it was really important to get off on the right foot.”

Rosen’s successful conversion on UCLA’s initial third-down opportunity turned out to set the tone for the rest of the game against Arizona.

The Bruins went seven for eight on third-down opportunities in the first half, and 11 for 15 in the game. Rosen was particularly impressive, going five-for-six passing for 112 yards, with a touchdown and no interceptions.

“That’s crazy,” said offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone when he heard the stats. “Last week, I looked at it and we were like zero for nine (on third down) at halftime.”

The difference for Rosen against Arizona was his poise and pass selection. He faced some pressure on third down – just like he did against BYU – but settled for more checkdowns than he did a week earlier. On two third downs in the first half against Arizona, Rosen passed to a receiver within five yards of the line of scrimmage; each time, the play resulted in a first down and over 10 yards after the catch.

There was one moment, however, when Rosen rolled out to his right and slung a pass slightly across his body – deep downfield. That sequence of events conjured up some dark memories for Mazzone, who saw Rosen throw two interceptions that way against BYU.

“It was one of those, ‘Oh shoot, no – yes’ (moments),” Mazzone said.

The “yes” came from the fact that Rosen completed the pass this time – for 59 yards to senior receiver Jordan Payton. That play turned out to be Rosen’s last third-down pass of the game, as UCLA’s standout running game took command from there.

“That’s what you’re supposed to do on offense – is drive down the field and score,” said coach Jim Mora. “We were just efficient.”

Particularly on third down.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.