Men’s tennis well represented in SoCal pro tournaments

Junior Mackie McDonald had a second-place showing at the Claremont USTA Pro Classic. He was just recently named No. 3 college player in the nation. (Bailey Greene/Daily Bruin)

By Korbin Placet

The UCLA men’s tennis team continued its fall tournament schedule, competing in multiple Southern California professional tournaments over the past two weeks.

Last Sunday, junior Mackie McDonald finished runner-up at the Claremont USTA Pro Classic after falling to Deiton Baughman 2-6, 6-3, 6-3.

Leading up to the finals, McDonald had advanced through four rounds – each match in straight sets.

The junior is currently ranked No. 3 in nation after finishing the 2015 season 29-5 with 20 ranked wins, with the most notable win coming in last year’s NCAA Tournament third round where he toppled No. 1 Axel Alvarez Llamas of University of Oklahoma.

Other Bruins featured in the Claremont Classic were sophomores Austin Rapp and Martin Redlicki, junior Joe Di Giulio and redshirt senior Ryoto Tachi. Only Redlicki qualified for the main draw. He was ousted in the second round by Virginia’s Collin Altamirano.

This week, Rapp, Redlicki and Tachi are continuing their tournament schedule in the Costa Mesa Pro Classic. Rapp and Redlicki qualified in the main draw while Tachi lost in the third of the qualifying rounds.

McDonald earned a spot in the main draw based on his No. 822 ATP ranking.

For the doubles, McDonald and Redlicki made it into the main draw. The tournament continues through Sept. 27.

Compiled by Korbin Placet, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Korbin Placet | Alumnus
Placet joined the Bruin as a junior in 2014 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the men's basketball, women's basketball, softball, women's soccer, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.