UCLA beats BYU 24-23, experiences first close call

Sophomore running back Nate Starks celebrates his game-winning touchdown. (Daniel Alcazar/Daily Bruin senior staff)

By Claire Fahy

PASADENA — BYU was in a familiar situation — down a score, time running out. UCLA, a team that won its last two games by double-digit margins, was as far from familiar as possible.

The Bruins clung to a one-point lead as the clock drained the final three minutes from Saturday’s game after coming back from 10 points down in the fourth quarter. Cougar quarterback Tanner Mangum lined up to do what he had done so calmly for the last two weeks – throw the ball, win the game. Against Nebraska and again against Boise State, the freshman had launched game-winning touchdowns.

“Coach laid into us a little bit at the end there – ‘Just don’t let them get the miracle,’” said junior linebacker Deon Hollins.

BYU inched closer to the end zone, within scoring range, and it looked as if UCLA would be forced into a last-ditch possession to close out the game. Under pressure, Mangum found his comfort zone: he rolled to his right and launched the ball, which flew directly into the hands of junior linebacker Myles Jack. The interception marked the end of the game, and the Bruins survived to win 24-23.

“I was just thinking … if he runs, he runs, it’s not gonna be my guy that catches it,” Jack said.

BYU’s inability to run the ball was projected as one of the reasons it wouldn’t be able to beat UCLA at the Rose Bowl Saturday, but the Cougars caught the Bruins on a night where they couldn’t throw the ball. The 17-point underdogs gained the upper hand after freshman quarterback Josh Rosen threw three interceptions.

Although UCLA’s defense worked hard to keep the game on track, sacking BYU quarterback Tanner Mangum four times, Mangum’s throwing accuracy more than made up for the Cougars’ poor run game as the freshman threw 30 for 47 and 244 yards.

Rosen, on the other hand, couldn’t settle in all night. Under pressure from the BYU defense, the quarterback threw two interceptions in the end zone and overthrew multiple potential touchdowns. He ended the night with only 106 yards on 11 for 23 in what the freshman said was arguably the worst game of his career.

All that mattered though, was the freshman’s ability to persevere and score when it mattered, completing to senior receiver Jordan Payton in the end zone to close within three and make it 20-17 with 12:16 left in the fourth quarter. On the next possession, Rosen trusted his veteran running backs to bail him out, a responsibility Nate Starks welcomed. The sophomore carried the ball for 60 yards over four consecutive plays to pull UCLA ahead by a single point, 24-23.

“Coach (Jim) Mora talked all week about the running game. It doesn’t fall over in one swing, you’ve gotta keep chopping away,” Rosen said. “I really think that BYU defense was gassed by that fourth quarter.”

The next possession had the Rose Bowl terrified of the Cougars’ Hail Mary potential, and the Bruin defense refused to pressure the quarterback, only rushing four each time. While the strategy tried the patience of the 67,612 in attendance at the Rose Bowl, patience turned out to be the key. Jack picked off Mangum’s pass on a fourth-down conversion attempt, and UCLA regained possession with a minute left.

“A lot of the pundits said (we) can’t win a close game, a big game against the BYUs, the Stanfords, the Utahs, so this is really big,” Hollins said. “Last year, me personally, I don’t think we win that game.”

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.