Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UCLA Fall Sports: Where to?

By Owen Emerson, Miriam Bribiesca

Junior outside hitter Jordan Anderson, a junior transfer from West Virginia, has become one of the core players on the UCLA women's volleyball team. Most recently, she was named UCLA/Muscle Milk Student-Athlete of the Week after accumulating 48 kills in the UCSB Tournament.

(Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

Anderson, according to coach Michael Sealy, "brings fire" to her everyday play. The outside hitter said that she always wants to win – no matter what she's competing in.

(Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

Standout forward Taylor Smith's journey to UCLA began when she was verbally committed to Florida State University. It wasn't until then-Bruin coach Jill Ellis began recruiting her that Smith really considered going to school in Westwood.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Smith said that her decision to join the Bruins is one that she has never regretted. In her three seasons, the Bruins have won a pair of Pac-12 championships and an NCAA championship.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

This year, the senior earned a spot on the women's Missouri Athletic Club’s Hermann Trophy Watch List. Smith said that she plans on continuing her soccer career after the season by entering the National Women's Soccer League draft.

(Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

Senior midfielder Jordan Vale transferred to UCLA from Syracuse following his freshman season. The New Zealand native battled inconsistency over his first two years in Westwood, but he said that he feels like he's finally put all the pieces together this season.

(Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

While he's not a captain, the midfielder said that he tries to bring his own style of hard work and a good mentality to the team. Early in the 2015 season, Vale has played two full 90-minute games – something he said he's never done in his time with the Bruins.

(Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

Vale, naturally right-footed, considers the turning point in his soccer career to be when his youth coach said that he had to become proficient with his left foot. Even now, his left-footed skills rival his natural abilities.

(Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

Owen Emerson