UC Regents recap — Sept. 16

The University of California Board of Regents, the governing board of the University, held several discussions at the second day of its bimonthly meeting at UC Irvine.

By Ryan Leou

The University of California Board of Regents, the governing board of the University, discussed its finances, management of its health services and its partnership with U.S. Department of Energy national laboratories, among others things, on the second day of its bimonthly meeting at UC Irvine Wednesday.

• The regents heard updates about UC Merced’s 2020 Project, which aims to increase enrollment at the campus to 10,000 students by 2020. The updates were predominately about how the UC would be protected from risks in the almost $1 billion project.
  • The regents also heard recommendations on how to restructure its Committee on Health Services in order to better delegate authority for funding for various projects within the UC Health system. Some of the recommendations include having four non-voting outside experts in the committee, as well as the executive vice president of UC Health and two chancellors from campuses with medical centers. Student Regent Avi Oved and Student Regent-Designate Marcela Ramirez called for students to be represented on the committee in some capacity, whether in a voting or advisory role.
  • Chief Investment Officer Jagdeep Singh Bachher and Chief Financial Officer Nathan Brostrom gave the regents updates about the University’s investments and returns. Last year, the UC earned about $8 billion on its investments, bringing its total investment assets to about $98 billion.

Compiled by Ryan Leou, Bruin contributor

Ryan Leou | Assistant News Editor