UCLA men’s, women’s cross country front-runners absent from first meet

By Matt Cummings

Cross country coach Forest Braden opted not to use his top runners in the first meet of the season, Friday’s ninth annual Nevada Twilight Classic.

With leaders like Lane Werley on the men’s side and Aliya Shirif on the women’s side out of action, some less experienced Bruin runners began their season under the lights at Shadow Mountain Park in Sparks, Nev.

The men performed well, taking the third through sixth spots on the 6K course. With a time of 16:28, redshirt freshman Sahm Bazargan placed third. Redshirt freshman Cole Smith (16:29), sophomore Max Davis (16:31) and redshirt freshman Jackson Marshall (16:32) followed in the next three spots.

On the 4K women’s course, UCLA had a slightly tougher time, with its top finisher, sophomore Roni Yamane, placing just 16th with a time of 15:42. Sophomore Jessica Cushing-Murray (16:10) finished 19th while senior Kelly Brooks (16:16) and sophomore Emily Fieberling (16:21) came in 21st and 22nd, respectively.

The Bruins will spend the next week training in Mammoth before racing again in the Mustang Challenge on Sept. 19 in Santa Clarita.

Compiled by Bruin Sports senior staff, Matt Cummings.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.