UCLA enrollment rate for 2015 remains at same level as previous year

The number of resident and nonresident freshmen at UCLA will stay about the same, according to new enrollment data released by the University of California. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Shreya Maskara

The number of incoming first-year students at UCLA in 2015 – both resident and nonresident – will stay about the same, according to new enrollment data released by the University of California.

This is in line with UC President Janet Napolitano’s announcement in March about capping nonresident enrollment at UCLA and UC Berkeley. At UC Berkeley, nonresident student enrollment increased by 0.6 percent.

However, across other colleges in the UC system, the numbers of nonresident students has increased significantly, especially at the Davis, Irvine and San Diego campuses.

The number of nonresident incoming first-year UC students had more than tripled from 2008 to 2013, as the University increased its enrollment to raise revenue amid decreased state funding.

UCLA’s freshman class will also see a 13 percent increase from last year in the number of black students enrolled.

Overall, there has been an increase in the number of Latino freshmen in UC campuses, while the number of black students remains similar.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor