State Senate committee approves appointees to UC Board of Regents

By Shreya Maskara

A state Senate committee unanimously approved three appointees to the University of California Board of Regents on Wednesday.

The Senate Rules Committee approved the appointments of Eloy Ortiz Oakley, superintendent-president of Long Beach City College, former Assembly Speaker John A. Pérez and Gareth Elliott, the former legislative affairs secretary in Gov. Jerry Brown’s office.

All three appointees were nominated by Brown.

Sen. Kevin de León, D-Los Angeles, who was also chairing the hearing, said he thinks the diversity of nominees reflects the changes in demographics in the University system.

The Board of Regents has 18 members – appointed by the regents and the governor – and seven ex-officio members. Seven of the current 18 appointees are from underrepresented communities.

The senators urged the regents to increase transfer student enrollment from different community colleges and low-income, underrepresented students.

Pérez, Oakley and Elliott have served on the board for several months and are expected to be confirmed by the full Senate by next week.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor