Starting a freshman quarterback uncommon, not unprecedented

By Claire Fahy

True freshman Josh Rosen takes the field Saturday as one of the rare first-years to lead a college-level offense. When he walks into the Rose Bowl this weekend, the five-star recruit will be tasked with proving he can take No. 13 UCLA to the College Football Playoff. Here’s a look at fellow Pac-12 teams that have taken a risk on starting a freshman at quarterback, and how that has paid off.

Jared Goff, Cal (2013)

web.sports.9.3.football.quarterback.file.jpg
Cal’s junior quarterback Jared Goff took a similar path to freshman Josh Rosen, graduating high school early to attend spring training before beating out two other quarterback candidates for the starting spot. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Goff took a similar path to Rosen, arriving on Cal’s Berkeley campus in the spring of 2013 after graduating early from high school. The four-star recruit out of Marin Catholic High School made an immediate impression, beating out two other quarterback candidates for the starting job. Goff owns the Golden Bears’ record for single-season passing yardage, which he set in 2013 and broke again in 2014. He was the only true freshman in Cal history to start in the season opener and went on to start every game of the 2013 season, a feat accomplished by only four other Bears. Goff went on to start every game as a sophomore and was voted team captain by his teammates. Compared to his rookie reason, he threw 17 more touchdowns and three fewer interceptions, en route to setting 15 school records. Goff will be one of Rosen’s main competitors for passing leader in the Pac-12.

Sefo Liufau, Colorado (2013)

web.sports.9.3.football.quarterback.file.2.jpg
Sefu Liufau played in eight games during his freshman year, starting seven. He became the sixth true freshman to start at quarterback for Colorado. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Liufau played in eight games during his freshman year, starting seven. He became the sixth true freshman to start at quarterback for Colorado. It wasn’t the easiest situation for a freshman to step into, as Colorado was the worst team in the Pac-12 at the time. The four-star recruit from Bellarmine Prep in Tacoma, Wash., tied the single-game freshman record by throwing for three touchdown against Cal on Nov. 16, 2013. In that same game, Liufau led the Buffaloes to their first Pac-12 win in over a year. In every appearance during the 2013 season, Luifau completed at least 50 percent of his passes. As a sophomore, the quarterback played in 12 games, starting 11, becoming an honorable mention All-American. Along with teammate Addison Gillam, Liufau was the only other sophomore in school history to be named a permanent team captain.

Luke Falk, Washington State (2014)

web.sports.9.3.football.quarterback.courtesy.5.jpg
Luke Falk was offered a walk-on position at Washington State after receiving no scholarship offers out of high school. After redshirting his true freshman year, Falk started as a redshirt freshman in 2014. (Courtesy of E.J. Deocampo)

Falk redshirted after walking on to the Cougars team in the fall of his freshman year in 2013. Due to transferring twice in his junior year of high school, Falk received no scholarship offers out of high school. An initial offer to Florida State was rescinded due to his lack of junior year film, leaving him to have to fight for a spot at Washington State. Last season, Falk made his way onto the field, appearing in six games and starting three. He thrived in coach Mike Leach’s air-raid offense, throwing for over 350 yards in each of his starts. Falk’s 471 passing yards and five touchdowns in his first career start against Oregon State were the most by a Washington State quarterback in a first start. Falk was just named the starting quarterback for the Cougars’ 2015 season on Tuesday after impressive showings in both spring and fall training camps.

Anu Solomon, Arizona (2014)

web.sports.9.3.football.quarterback.file.4.jpg
After redshirting his true freshman year, Anu Solomon started all 14 games as a redshirt freshman last season. (Daily Bruin file photo)

Solomon redshirted his true freshman year but started all 14 games as a redshirt last season. His 3,793 passing yards led all Football Bowl Subdivision freshman quarterbacks. The redshirt sophomore also rushed for two touchdowns and registered two games with five touchdown passes. A four-star recruit out of Bishop Gorman High School, Solomon earned an All-Pac-12 honorable mention and was named to the Maxwell Award watch list. The quarterback was also the first to lead the Wildcats to a BCS-level bowl game, the Vizio Fiesta Bowl, since Arizona reached the same bowl game in 1993. Solomon was also the only quarterback to win a game at Oregon last year, in which he posted a higher quarterback rating than Ducks quarterback Marcus Mariota, who went on to be the Heisman Trophy winner and the second pick in the 2015 NFL draft.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.