David Geffen School of Medicine appoints interim dean

The David Geffen School of Medicine announced Wednesday that Dr. Kelsey Martin, will be the school’s new interim dean beginning Sept. 1. (UCLA Media Relations)

By Shreya Maskara

Aug. 27, 2015 11:51 a.m.

The David Geffen School of Medicine announced Wednesday that it has named Dr. Kelsey Martin, the executive vice dean and associate vice chancellor, as the school’s new interim dean beginning Sept. 1.

Martin joined the UCLA faculty in 1999 and is a professor in biological chemistry, psychiatry and biobehavioral science at the David Geffen School of Medicine.

Martin has served as the chair of Basic Science Chairs and the biological chemistry department and co-director of the UCLA-Caltech Medical Scientist Training Program. She is also a principal researcher of a molecular neurobiology research laboratory that uses a multi-dimensional approach to understand how experience changes brain connectivity to store memories.

Dr. John Mazziotta, a long-term faculty member who established the UCLA Brain Mapping Center in 1993, was previously both the vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and the dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine.

However, in an email announcement, UCLA Executive Vice Chancellor and Provost Scott L. Waugh said he wanted to separate the roles of the vice chancellor and the dean. UCLA selected Martin to replace Mazziotta as the dean.

Earlier this year, Dr. A. Eugene Washington, who was the vice chancellor of UCLA Health Sciences and dean of the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA resigned to work as Duke University’s chancellor for health affairs as well as president and CEO of the Duke University Health System.

Waugh added he will soon form a search committee to find suitable candidates for the position of a permanent dean.

Complied by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor