UC Board of Regents files lawsuit against Santa Monica business

The University of California Board of Regents filed a lawsuit against a small Santa Monica business last month calling for the business to move a wall several inches off University property. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

The University of California Board of Regents filed a lawsuit against a small Santa Monica business last month, calling for the business to move a wall several inches off University property.

UC officials filed the lawsuit after the University bought a building that shared a wall with Busy Bee Hardware, a block away from the UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica. When workers demolished the building to convert it into a parking lot, UCLA surveyors concluded the hardware business was several inches on University property.

UCLA Medical Center, Santa Monica spokeswoman Simi Singer said in an email statement UCLA officials have tried for more than a year to resolve the issue, including offering to pay part of the costs to build a new wall, but they could not reach an agreement.

She added UCLA believes the encroachment also halted its plans to build on its property.

Singer did not comment further.

Joseph Hunter, supervisor of Busy Bee, said the hardware store has been on Santa Monica Boulevard and 16th Avenue for more than 90 years. He claimed UCLA officials did not communicate with him and ignored agreements.

Hunter said UCLA officials were unaware the two buildings shared a wall and failed to tell him they planned to demolish the building. Once Hunter informed officials about the shared wall, Hunter said they told him to build a temporary wall so they could continue with their construction.

He refused because building the wall would have violated city codes, Hunter said. The demolition also caused water damage on the store’s roof and cracks on the side of the building.

Hunter then contracted a surveyor, who determined the building was not on UCLA property. UCLA, however, would only acknowledge its own surveyors’ reports, he said.

Demolishing and rebuilding a shared wall would cost about $144,000, not including the cost of permits, Hunter said. He said UCLA officials were willing to pay $40,000.

Hunter said he has always been willing to negotiate with UCLA. UCLA stopped communicating with him in January and sent him the lawsuit July 17, he said.

Hunter said six employees have quit Busy Bee Hardware since UCLA’s construction started, some for safety issues and the others because they doubted the business’ future.

The business initially hired a lawyer when the conflict began, but let him go because the costs were too high, Hunter said. He has begun looking for a new lawyer who can respond to the lawsuit.

Busy Bee Hardware has until Sept. 17 to respond to the lawsuit.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.