UCLA football coach suspended for opening games of 2015 season

Offensive line coach Adrian Klemm (center) was suspended for the first two games of the 2015 season as part of self-imposed sanctions by the UCLA football program. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Tanner Walters

This post was updated on Aug. 23 at 8:00 p.m.

UCLA football handed down its second self-imposed suspension in five months to offensive line coach and recruiting coordinator Adrian Klemm on Friday evening.

Klemm missed the team’s entire spring practice after being suspended in March because of alleged NCAA rules violations, and will now miss the first two games of the regular season.

In addition to Klemm’s suspension, the football program reduced its recruiting days this past spring by 10 percent and will reduce official visits next year by two. The coach was also fined an undisclosed amount.

Klemm was reinstated in mid-June after serving his first suspension and has been present at fall practices. These new sanctions will sideline him in the Bruins’ home opener against Virginia on Sept. 5 and the following week against the University of Nevada, Las Vegas.

UCLA, while done with its internal review, has refrained from publicly stating which rules Klemm violated since the NCAA is still investigating the incident.

“We have a little bit more clarity … at least we can plan for the first couple of weeks now and how we’re going to address it,” said coach Jim Mora. “I feel very confident that we have the men in place to make it work, whatever direction we decide to go in.”

Compiled by Tanner Walters, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.