ASUCLA Services Committee recap – Aug. 21

By Nicholas Yu

Associated Students UCLA is a multimillion-dollar organization that provides student services and activities that the university does not fund and oversees the Undergraduate Students Association Council, Graduate Students Association, Communications Board, campus services and enterprises. The services committee meeting takes place every month and focuses on evaluating the services provided by the association, specifically the association’s facilities.

Executive director’s report

• Executive Director Bob Williams said the association is preparing for the students coming back in the fall quarter. Williams said the textbook store has prepared a coupon book which will go with every purchase.
  • Williams said that there will be a job fair on Sept. 21. Williams said that last year there were not enough openings and an excess of students that wanted to apply for the jobs. However, Williams said that this year they expect more openings to be available.
  • Roy Champawat, the director of the student union, said this year’s Bruin Bash will feature electronic dance music artists and that they have received a few offers.
  • Williams said Kikka Sushi sales are good but that there are some changes he would like to see from Kikka, such as the addition of more seats.
  • The Hill Top Shop is expected to open in a few days, Williams said.

Action and discussion items

• The Director of Special Projects Karen Noh said that sales of T-shirts from the design contest are not as great compared to the last year. A portion of the sales will be donated, Noh said. Last year $6,000 was donated to UniCamp and this year they expect to donate to the Student Interaction Fund, Noh added.
  • Cindy Bolton, the director of food service, said that the association will train restaurant staff to compost kitchen waste this Friday.
  • Noh said that third-party restaurants will not have to compost but have been invited to join.
  • The consumer composting program at Lu Valle Commons will begin on November, Noh said.
  • The association plans to change its website to make it mobile-friendly and to highlight the pages that get the most hits, such as restaurant hours and jobs, Noh said.
  • Denea Joseph, an undergraduate representative, said that they hope to improve efforts in reaching out to students by creating videos.
  • Champawat said that the engineers working on the Global Viewpoint Lounge have made plans in changing the acoustics of the room. A 4K-resolution projector is planned to be added, Champawat said.

Compiled by Nicholas Yu, Bruin senior staff.

Nicholas Yu | Assistant news editor