Daily Bruin Abroad: The Beauty of Taiwan

By Austin Yu

Aug. 11, 2015 11:33 a.m.

My grandmother, 86, prepares dried bamboo leaves to wrap 粽子 (zong zi); a cultural delicacy eaten during the annual 端午節 (Dragon Boat Festival).

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

As seen from 象山 (Elephant Mountain), Taipei City is engulfed in Typhoon Souledor's storm - August 6th, 2015.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The sun sets upon the city of 九份 (Jiufen), famous for being the inspiration behind Hayao Miyazaki's Spirited Away.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Locals and foreigners enjoy Taiwanese delicacies at the 基隆夜市 (Keelung night market).

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Typhoon rains clear the streets in the usually bustling night market at 公館 (Gonguan).

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Visitors of 龍山寺 (Long Shan Temple) in Taipei pray during the weekly Sunday prayer.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A sporting boat sits docked at 後壁湖 (Hou Bi Hu harbor) in 墾丁 (Kenting).

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Famous for its clear coastal views, 三仙台 (San Xian Tai) bridge connects the largest island with the coast of Taitung County.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Now a tourist attraction, the 雙心石滬 (Double-Hearts of Stacked Stones) sits at full capacity during high tide. The Double-Hearts were once used by islanders as a means of catching fish.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Windmills line the coast of 澎湖 (Penghu Island) where winds can blow as strong as Force 12 on the Beaufort Scale.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The end of 燕子口 (Swallow's Grotto) opens up to a view of the Taroko Gorge at 太魯閣國家公園(Taroko National Park).

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

A lantern flies into the sky at 十分 (Shi Fen). Visitors write wishes and prayers on all sides of the lanterns and let them fly in hopes that they will come true.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Lanterns which line the streets of 九分 (Jiufen) reflect off of a windshield.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The busy intersection of 基隆路 (Keelung Road) and 信義路 (Xinyi road) provides a perfect view of Taipei 101 in between several buildings.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Parts of Taipei and the 新北市 (New Taipei City) as seen from the observatory of Taipei 101.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

The sun sets upon 澎湖灣的西瀛虹橋 (Penghu Bay's Rainbow Bridge) as visitors swim in the bay's shallow waters.

(Austin Yu/Daily Bruin)

Austin Yu | Alumnus