Q&A: Ed Asner voices thoughts on autism, career in television

Actor Ed Asner has acted in over 330 productions, including Disney Pixar’s “Up,” in his five-decade-long acting career. He will speak at an outdoor screening of the film in Westwood. (Charles Sherman Public Relations)

By Gail Acosta

Aug. 10, 2015 11:43 a.m.

Ed Asner has molded himself and his voice into characters of over 330 productions, such as the jolly Santa Claus in “Elf” and the grumpy yet lovable Mr. Fredricksen in Disney Pixar’s “Up.”

A veteran in the entertainment industry, Asner served as president for the Screen Actor’s Guild in the 1980s. He is also an advocate for the organization Autism Speaks in addition to his five-decade career as a voice and live-action actor.

Asner will speak at an outdoor screening of “Up” in Westwood on Monday, as part of Westwood Village’s Cinema Under the Stars: Red Carpet Series.

The Daily Bruin’s Gail Acosta spoke to Asner about his five-decade long acting career, his thoughts on today’s television and his advice for students who are aspiring actors.

The Daily Bruin: You have appeared in numerous productions as a voice actor, such as “Up.” How do you go about preparing for those voice-acting roles?

Ed Asner: I don’t prepare until I see what I’m supposed to say. I generally don’t do it until I get to the studio. I’m not burning up the trail as a voice-over actor. So I haven’t developed any fancy techniques. But I read it … I see what’s required in terms of voice. They’ll tell me over the mic from the control room as to what variations I need to make and I institute them.

DB: People are saying today is the golden age of television. How do you think television has changed over the course of your five-decade acting career in television?

EA: You have a lot more TV now, of course. I have seen some wonderful dramatic acting on the cable shows – “True Detective” had some phenomenal acting done by its primary characters. It’s a hit and miss. I look forward to recapturing a golden age of television – if that’s possible now – with all of the widespread outputs that there are to receive television. The total populous may not be affected by great TV when they see it because there’s such a wide spread selection. I don’t think (today) is the golden age of television now.

DB: What television shows are you currently watching?

EA: I like to watch the screen and see my reflection – that’s when the television is not on … I don’t watch the news shows. I get my information on life out of the paper.

DB: What is your favorite project or role that you have played as and why?

EA: Well I certainly have to say “The Mary Tyler Moore Show” ranks up at the top. Lou Grant and the service he performed was my starring in the role. It did a great public service and it was good drama from time to time.

DB: You are heavily involved in Autism Speaks. What motivates your passion in the organization?

EA: I have a son who is a high-functioning autistic and I have a grandson who is autistic. My older son is project director of Autism Speaks. We are surrounded by autism by all sides. Its prevalence makes itself apparent wherever we go.

One in 68 people have autism now. (Autism Speaks) does a great public service and I recommend to everybody to listen for their needs of contribution.

DB: A lot of UCLA students are expected to attend the screening of “Up” for the Cinema Under the Stars event in Westwood. What advice do you have for students interested in acting or entering the entertainment industry?

EA: There are vast arenas in showbiz now and, of course, Los Angeles is a hub. I would say get involved in every area of showbiz. There are many opportunities but there are so many opportunities that the disappointment is all too often the opportunity that does not automatically lead to opportunities. They just gotta keep chasing those parked cars.

Compiled by Gail Acosta, A&E senior staff.

Gail Acosta