UC releases 2014 payroll data, UCLA coach ranks highest-paid employee

Jim Mora, UCLA’s head football coach, was the highest-paid UC employee, according to UC payroll data released Wednesday. (Tim Bradbury/Daily Bruin)

By Shreya Maskara

The University of California increased its payroll by 7.5 percent to $12.6 billion in 2014, according to UC payroll data released Wednesday.

According to the data released, the increase in salaries was due to heightened competitiveness in the wage market for employees and an increase in facilities offered by the UC associated with higher student enrollment.

Jim Mora, UCLA’s head football coach, was the highest-paid UC employee. Mora’s total compensation was about $3.5 million, a 44 percent increase from 2013.

Highest-paid employees at the UC were athletic coaches and health sciences faculty. Under the UC’s compensation model, an employee can get additional compensation apart from base pay due to performance, which is more common in the fields of sports and health care.

The highest-paid employees at UCLA included athletic coaches Mora and Steve Alford, head coach of the UCLA men’s basketball team.

Other highest-paid employees were health science faculty members such as Dr. Khalil Tabsh, chief of the Division of Obstetrics at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA, and Dr. Ronald Busuttil, distinguished professor and executive chairman of the UCLA Department of Surgery.

Seventeen of 28 UC employees paid over $1 million were UCLA employees.

UCLA listed a total of 59,667 paid employees, including student workers, which was only a 1.5 percent increase from 2013. About 8,000 employees at UCLA received a salary greater than $100,000.

The UC employed a total of 200,100 people, an increase of about 3 percent from 194,800 in 2013.

In a similar pattern to previous years, about 39 percent of the funding for salaries came from clinical revenue and teaching hospitals in the UC system, and about 23 percent came from tuition and state funding. Other sources of funding included the federal government, private contracts, grants and gifts.

Payroll cost about half of the UC’s overall operating budget of $25 billion for the 2013-2014 fiscal year.

Compiled by Shreya Maskara, Bruin senior staff.

Shreya Maskara | Assistant news editor