Album Review: ‘How Does It Feel’

(Courtesy of Columbia Records)

"How Does It Feel" MS MR Columbia Records

By Shreya Aiyar

July 27, 2015 7:10 a.m.

MS MR’s sound hasn’t changed at all in its two years between albums. That’s not a good thing, as the group should have used that break to breathe life into an already stale sound.

“How Does It Feel,” MS MR’s newest release, continues the group’s strong penchant for upbeat pop evident since its formation in 2011. Composed of vocalist Lizzy Plapinger and instrumentalist Max Hershenow, MS MR was formed when Plapinger put together a record label for a thesis project at Vassar College.

The fledgling MS MR soon established itself as a solid newcomer in the alt-pop scene with debut 2013 LP “Secondhand Rapture.”

“Secondhand Rapture” was an effective blend of Plapinger’s yearning, raspy voice and Hershenow’s lush orchestral themes. However, “How Does It Feel” breaks no new barriers; the duo’s lack of innovation and creativity is the sole reason the album ultimately flops.

The opening is strong. “Painted,” the album’s first song and lead single, presents a catchy chorus combined with Plapinger’s ability to create hooks from one-liners straight from the graphic tee section of a department store.

“One day I’ll be stronger than my own doubt,” Plapinger sings as Hershenow’s instrumentals go rollicking on, easing the listener into an upbeat groove.

Continuing the streak of solid tunes, “Wrong Victory” is, contrary to its title, a well-deserved win for the duo. Its melancholy feel, soaring vocals and raw lyrics, such as, “When your skin doesn’t feel like home,” allow the song to fit right into the album’s flow.

Perhaps the best song on the album is “Criminals.” Plapinger lends strong and confident vocals reminiscent of a restrained Florence Welch to the track. Hershenow contributes a powerful alt-rock vibe complete with guitar slides and an ’80s disco-fever beat – a really refreshing change from his usually static repertoire of orchestral sounds.

From here on out, however, the album slides into a swamp of sameness reminiscent of the group’s previous works.

Downbeat tracks such as “All The Things Lost” throw emotional lyrics – “Oh, no more apologies need be exchanged/Oh, no words could ever help relieve this pain” – into the spotlight, yet Plapinger fails to deliver any emotion to back her words up. “Leave Me Alone” features a jarringly shaky and slightly out-of-tune Plapinger, leaving a disappointing effect as her voice is usually pitch-perfect.

Even on the title track, Plapinger chants, “How does it feel?” as though singing to a stadium-sized crowd, rather than wrenching an answer out of a lover. Lines like “How does it feel with my teeth in your heart?” ironically lack any bite.

The song’s lyrics and thundering instrumentals warrant rage and outbursts of emotion, yet the storm is surprisingly and maddeningly weak; there’s never any hard evidence of her pain, no breaking of the voice, no gnashing of the teeth.

It seems as though Plapinger is utterly disconnected and fails to project her emotion through Hershenow’s overpowering instrumentals, causing the second half of the album to stumble in its monotony.

MS MR’s sophomore effort falls short in its lack of surprises, emotion and creativity. Plapinger and Hershenow have many things figured out, such as the fresh and clear vocals in the first half of the album and Hershenow’s massive instrumental hooks. However, there is still a long way to go before the duo can accomplish the difficult task of captivating the listener for the entire album.

– Shreya Aiyar

Shreya Aiyar