UCLA hospitals ranked No. 3 in nation by U.S. News and World Report

The UCLA hospitals in Westwood and Santa Monica were ranked No. 3 for the best hospitals in the nation. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

The UCLA hospitals in Westwood and Santa Monica were ranked No. 3 for the best hospitals in the nation, according to ranking released Tuesday by the U.S. News and World Report.

The new ranking raised UCLA hospitals from fifth place last year.

The U.S. News and World Report evaluated nearly 5,000 hospitals and highlighted 15 hospitals, including the UCLA Health System, in its 2015 honor roll. According to U.S. News and World Report, hospitals in the honor roll achieved high scores in at least six of 16 best hospitals specialty rankings.

The annual U.S. News Best Hospitals rankings, which are now in their 26th year, are based on hospitals that excel in treating patients who need a high level of care. For the honor roll ranking, U.S. News and World Report takes into account patient survival and safety data and nurse staffing, among other data that determine the rankings in most specialties, according to a UCLA statement.

The review includes both UCLA’s hospital campuses in Westwood and Santa Monica. The UCLA Health hospitals were ranked highest in the specialties of geriatrics, urology, gastroenterology and GI surgery, ophthalmology and cancer.

UCLA was tied with the Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. The rankings are available online in U.S. News and World Report and will be published in August in print.

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Bruin senior staff.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.