Norman Powell, other former Bruins impress in NBA Summer League

Former UCLA guard Norman Powell was signed to a three-year, partially guaranteed contract by the Toronto Raptors after leading all rookie guards in scoring during NBA Summer League play. (Courtesy of Roven Yau/Toronto Raptors)

By camayak

July 20, 2015 7:09 a.m.

It didn’t take Norman Powell long to prove that he belonged in the NBA.

In his first three NBA Summer League games, the former UCLA guard led the Toronto Raptors in scoring, averaging just over 19 points per contest. That was enough for Powell to earn a three-year, partially guaranteed contract from the Raptors, who drafted him in the second round of the NBA draft last month.

Upon his Wednesday signing, Powell became the sixth of just seven second-round selections to ink deals with NBA teams thus far. The other 23 second-round selections have yet to sign NBA contracts after the completion of NBA Summer League play on Sunday.

web.sports.mbb.powell.brief.courtesy2.jpg
Powell shot 50.9 percent from the field in his four NBA Summer League Games. He averaged 18.3 points per game. (Courtesy of Roven Yau/Toronto Raptors)

Powell finished his four-game summer league stint on Thursday as the top-scoring rookie guard, averaging 18.3 points per game. The only other rookie with a higher scoring average in the summer league was the No. 3 overall pick in the draft – center Jahlil Okafor of the Philadelphia 76ers.

Other Bruins in Summer League

While all eyes are on Powell as he outshines the rest of his draft class, other Bruins are also impressing throughout Summer League. Jordan Adams dropped 20 points in the Memphis Grizzlies’ 81-73 win over the Brooklyn Nets while former teammate Kyle Anderson drew praise for his efforts with the San Antonio Spurs, averaging 22.3 points to go along with 5.5 rebounds in 27 minutes per game. Kevon Looney has been averaging 50 percent from beyond the arc and 41 percent from field goal range, reaffirming the Golden State Warriors’ faith in his versatility as a forward.

Compiled by Matthew Joye and Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

camayak