Two Bruins named to Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list

Rising redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins joined rising junior linebacker Myles Jack on the 2015 Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Matt Cummings

Rising junior linebacker Myles Jack and rising redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins were two of 50 players in the nation named to the preseason watch list for the Walter Camp Player of the Year award Friday morning.

Jack, a linebacker who has also served as a running back, has been named to six preseason award watch lists after making the all-conference second-team last year with 88 tackles, eight passes defended and an interception which he returned for a touchdown. As a running back, Jack piled up three touchdowns on 28 carries.

Perkins, the Bruins’ starting running back, led the Pac-12 in rushing last year with 1,575 yards, the second-highest single-season total by a UCLA back, and was named as an honorable mention all-conference selection. The redshirt junior has also been named to the Doak Walker and Maxwell Award watch lists.

The Walter Camp Player of the Year watch list will shrink to just 10 semifinalists in mid-November, before a panel of NCAA Bowl Subdivision head coaches and sports information directors selects a winner to be announced Dec. 10 on ESPN SportsCenter.

Recent winners of the award include NFL quarterbacks Andrew Luck and Cam Newton, as well as 2015 first-round picks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota.

Compiled by Matt Cummings, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.