Cyber attack on UCLA Health may affect up to 4.5M

(Daily Bruin file photo)

By Roberto Luna Jr.

July 17, 2015 11:35 a.m.

A cyber attack on UCLA Health’s computer network may have exposed the personal and medical information of as many as 4.5 million people, officials announced Friday.

Although there is no evidence information was actually taken, UCLA Health is working with the FBI to investigate the attack. Additionally, UCLA is checking computer systems across campus to protect them against future attacks.

UCLA Health contacted the FBI in October when it began detecting suspicious activity in its network, but did not believe cyber attackers had breached the parts of the network that had personal information, according to a press release.

As part of the investigation, UCLA Health determined in May the attackers had gained access to parts of the network that contained information such as names, addresses, dates of birth, Social Security numbers, medical record numbers, Medicare or health plan ID numbers and some medical information.

UCLA Health officials now predict that the attackers may have had access to the information as early as September.

UCLA will be notifying those affected on a rolling basis and offering free resources, including 12 months of identity theft recovery and restoration services and health care identity protection tools. Those who had their Social Security numbers or medical record numbers stored on the affected parts of the network will receive 12 months of credit monitoring.

Attorney General Kamala D. Harris said in a press release she recommends patients review their credit reports and place a fraud alert or security freeze if their Social Security number is breached.

University of California President Janet Napolitano will send a group to review the cyber security of the UC system as the result of the attack, said Shelly Meron, a spokeswoman for the UC Office of the President, in an email statement. The results of this review will inform a broader UC-wide cyber security plan.

Anyone with questions about the offered resources can call UCLA’s hotline at 877-534-5972 or visit myidcare.com/uclaprotection.

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr., Bruin senior staff.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.