Running back Paul Perkins named to Doak Walker Award watch list

Running back Paul Perkins escapes a Cal defender in a 2013 game. The junior was named to the Doak Walker Award watch list Thursday morning. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Matt Cummings

July 16, 2015 10:04 a.m.

Rising redshirt junior running back Paul Perkins was named to the preseason watch list for the Doak Walker Award, given annually to the top running back in college football, on Thursday.

Perkins, who led the Pac-12 in rushing last year with 1,575 yards and was named Offensive MVP of the Alamo Bowl, is one of 69 running backs nominated by their schools to the watch list.

After the PricewaterhouseCoopers Southern Methodist University Athletic Forum Board of Directors names ten semifinalists on Nov. 18, a selection committee comprised of past winners, media members and former NFL All-Pro and college All-America running backs will vote in November to determine the winner, which will be announced Dec. 10. The award is named after SMU’s three-time All-America running back Doak Walker.

Perkins, the only Bruin also named to the watch list for the Maxwell Award, honoring the College Player of the Year, posted the second-most yards in a single season by a UCLA back last year. The breakout performance earned him the Captain Don Brown Award for Most Improved Player at the team’s end-of-year banquet, as well as an honorable mention all-conference selection.

Compiled by Matt Cummings, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Cummings | Alumnus
Cummings joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, cross country, women's volleyball and men's tennis beats.