Myles Jack named to Rotary Lombardi, Butkus Award watch lists

This season could well mark a major showing from junior linebacker Myles Jack, with the arrival of Tom Bradley as defensive coordinator, as well as adjustments made to Jack’s position to make him more prominent in the Bruins’ playbook. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Claire Fahy

Football season is more than a month away, but rising junior linebacker Myles Jack is already on a roll.

Two of the most prestigious awards in collegiate football – the Butkus Award and the Rotary Lombardi Award – announced their watch lists Tuesday, and Jack’s name appeared on both. These are only the most recent in a string of preseason accolades adorning UCLA’s emerging star.

Jack is currently up for the Paul Hornung Award, the Bronko Nagurski Trophy and the Chuck Bednarik Award. This season could well mark a major showing from Jack, with the arrival of Tom Bradley as defensive coordinator and with adjustments made to Jack’s position to make him more prominent in the Bruins’ playbook.

Rising junior defensive linemen Kenny Clark and Eddie Vanderdoes, as well as rising junior offensive lineman Caleb Benenoch, were also named to the Rotary Lombardi Award watch list. UCLA’s four nominations surpassed many other schools, falling short of only Ohio State and Notre Dame, which had five and seven, respectively.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.