Two UCLA defensive backs named to Jim Thorpe Award Watch List

By Claire Fahy

The original version of this article said that players from 11 different conferences were nominated for the award. In fact, players from 10 different conferences and Notre Dame were nominated.

Two UCLA defensive backs were named to the 2015 Jim Thorpe Award Preseason Watch List Monday: Redshirt junior Ishmael Adams and senior Fabian Moreau.

A total of 42 players from 10 different conferences and Notre Dame were nominated for the award, which recognizes the country’s best defensive backs. The list is preliminary, as additional names will be added based on performances this season.

Adams, who started every game last season, set a school record by returning both of his interceptions for touchdowns. Against Arizona State, the then-redshirt sophomore completed a 100-yard kickoff return. He registered 41 tackles on the season, including seven in one game against both Memphis and Colorado.

In his third season at UCLA, Moreau made second-team all-conference, recording 53 tackles and a team-high eight passes defended. In the Bruins’ Alamo Bowl victory, the then-junior made a season-best nine stops.

The three finalists for the award will be announced on Dec. 10, with the award banquet scheduled for Feb. 2.

Compiled by Claire Fahy, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.