Men’s water polo wins bronze against Serbia in World University Games

Junior attacker Ryder Roberts scored the United States’ first goal in the bronze medal match against Serbia. The U.S. won 5-4. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Annie Bardet

The United States, represented by UCLA men’s water polo, toppled Serbia to win bronze in the World University Games.

The first half was a defensive battle as both teams were unable to strike for the first eight minutes. Though the U.S. won the sprint to start the second quarter, Serbia nabbed the first point of the game from two meters.

The rest of the second quarter was dominated by the Americans. After a steal by junior Ryder Roberts, the attacker scored an exclusion goal to tie the game with 5:45 left in the half. The United States then pushed the score to 2-1 after junior attacker Jack Fellner found the back of the net and redshirt freshman attacker Austin Rone secured another goal for the U.S.

At halftime, the United States led Serbia 4-1. Freshman goalie Alex Wolf, who started in the cage, rejected seven of Serbia’s eight shots.

Unlike the defensive start to the first half, Serbia began the second half with an immediate goal on their first possession. The United States’ lead continued to dwindle after a Serbian shot from two meters cut the score to 4-3 with 5:10 left in the third. The United States was unable to put a shot away for the entirety of the third quarter.

Serbia’s defense remained rigid at the start of the fourth until sophomore attacker Maxwell Irving found an opening in the cage off an assist from Roberts – a shot that changed the digits on the scoreboard after an 11 minute dry spell. The United States led 5-3 with 5:40 left in the game.

In the final four minutes, the U.S. was in a man-down situation for three consecutive Serbian possessions. Wolf remained a wall in the goal for the first two Serbian 6-on-5 possessions, increasing his save total to 15 for the match. However, Serbia struck on the third U.S. exclusion, narrowing the score to 5-4 with 52 seconds left.

The hard-fought goal wasn’t enough for Serbia to close the scoring gap – Wolf stole the ball with five seconds left, preventing a Serbian buzzer-beater and securing the bronze medal for the United States.

The 5-4 win marks the first time the U.S. has won a medal in men’s water polo at the World University Games since 1993.

Compiled by Annie Bardet, Bruin Sports reporter.

Annie Bardet