UCLA School of Law appoints new executive director of media program

By Allison Ong

The dean of the UCLA School of Law appointed Monday a CBS Studios International executive to be the new executive director of the law school’s Entertainment, Media and Intellectual Property Law Program.

Susan Akens, the former executive vice president of business affairs at CBS Studios International, holds professional degrees in pharmacy and law. On July 1, she will assume leadership of the program, which aims to educate students in the practice of law in the film, television, music and other creative industries, according to the School of Law’s website.

“I look forward to working with the entire UCLA Law community to build on the program’s many accomplishments and to assist in training the next generation of entertainment leaders,” Akens said in the press release.

Akens has held positions in media and international business at well-known entertainment companies such as Paramount Pictures International Television and CBS. She is also a registered pharmacist who earned a bachelor’s degree from the Rutgers College of Pharmacy, now the Ernesto Mario School of Pharmacy, and served on the board of directors in the American Red Cross’ Greater Los Angeles chapter for two years beginning in 2006, according to the branch website.

Akens earned her doctorate degree from the University of Virginia School of Law. After more than five years working for Paramount, CBS appointed her executive vice president of business affairs in 2006. At CBS, she focused on the management and expansion of CBS’s international business, according to the press release.

“She has an excellent background and extensive experience in the industry as a private practitioner,” said David Ginsburg, who retired from the position of executive director in June. “A high degree of skill and personal attributes made her an obviously top candidate for the job.”

Ginsburg served on the executive director search committee, which was led by law professor Douglas Lichtman. The committee recommended Akens to the law school’s dean, who made the final selection.

Ginsburg, who will remain involved with the law school as an alumnus, said Akens will take on both teaching and administrative responsibilities for her new job, including a position on the committee for the Annual UCLA Entertainment Symposium held in March. She’ll also offer career services, help oversee admissions and recruitment programs and teach graduate student classes, most likely including the school’s Entertainment Law course, he said.

Akens will officially join the school July 1.

Compiled by Allison Ong, Bruin contributor.

Allison Ong