Sean ‘Diddy’ Combs arrested after altercation at UCLA

By Roberto Luna Jr.

This post was updated on June 28 at 3:05 p.m.

Rapper Sean Combs, better known as Diddy, was arrested Monday afternoon at UCLA’s Acosta Athletic Training Complex on three charges, including assault with a deadly weapon, making terrorist threats and battery, according to a UCLA statement.

University police arrested Combs about 12:30 p.m. after he allegedly attempted assault with a kettlebell weight, according to the statement. No one was seriously injured, said UCPD spokeswoman Nancy Greenstein.

Combs was transported to the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Inmate Reception Center in downtown Los Angeles Monday evening, Greenstein said.

He was released from custody Monday night on a $50,000 bail, according to Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department records. He will appear at the Los Angeles Superior Court Airport Courthouse on July 13.

UCPD charged him with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon, one count of making terrorist threats and one count of battery, according to the statement.

TMZ Sports reported Monday that the altercation was with UCLA strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi.

Nathalie Moar, a spokeswoman for Combs Enterprises, said in a statement to the Associated Press on Tuesday that Combs acted in a defensive manner to protect himself and his son and that he thinks several accounts of the event and charges are inaccurate.

It was reported on Wednesday by TMZ Sports that UCLA will not be taking Combs to court for the incident. However, the case will be taken to the Los Angeles County District Attorney for felony review next week. If there is enough evidence, the DA could still prosecute without UCLA or those involved bringing charges.

The case is still under investigation.

Combs’ son, Justin Combs, is a defensive back on the football team. Combs, a redshirt junior, played four games as a special teams player and as a special teams reserve last year. He was recruited in 2012 from Iona Preparatory School in New Rochelle, N.Y., where he was an All-American.

Acosta Athletic Training Complex is a student-athlete-only facility that is closed to the public, but the building has no security system that would have prevented Combs from entering, said Steve Rourke, associate director of Athletic Communications.

The younger Combs took to Twitter and Instagram the day after the incident, posting the same picture of his dad. He captioned the Instagram post, saying, “I thank God for having a father that’s always there for me.. Love you pops!”

Compiled by Roberto Luna Jr. and Claire Fahy, Bruin senior staff. Contributing reports by Rachel Scott, Korbin Placet and Tanner Walters.

Roberto Luna Jr. | News senior staff
Roberto Luna Jr. is currently a senior staffer covering Westwood, crime and transportation. He was previously an assistant News editor from 2015-2016 and a News contributor from 2014-2015.