UCLA cancer center receives $1M donation from Revlon

UCLA cancer researcher Dennis Slamon accepts a $1 million donation by Revlon ambassador Halle Berry and CEO Lorenzo Delpani. (Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center)

By camayak

Revlon donated $1 million to the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center, in honor of UCLA women’s cancer researcher Dennis Slamon, Revlon’s CEO Lorenzo Delpani announced in a press release Friday.

The money will fund research for potential new therapies and treatments for triple-negative breast cancer as well as ovarian cancer, Slamon said in a statement. The donation is part of UCLA’s Centennial Campaign, which aims to raise $4.2 billion for the university’s 100th anniversary.

Revlon helped develop the Revlon/UCLA Breast Center in Santa Monica and Westwood and has donated almost $50 million to Slamon’s research in the last 20 years, said Peter Bracke, a spokesman for the Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center.

Revlon’s past donations helped Slamon lead research for Herceptin, a breast cancer treatment drug for the HER2+ breast cancer type. The HER2+ breast cancer type now has one of the highest survival rates of breast cancer types, according to the statement.

“We have made tremendous advancements in the field of breast cancer treatments over the past two decades, but our work is far from over,” Slamon said in a statement. “This generous donation will help us to continue this groundbreaking research that has the potential to save the lives of more women battling these deadly diseases.”

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Bruin senior staff.

camayak