GSA recap — May 27

By Alejandra Reyes-Velarde

The Graduate Student Association is the voice of graduate students on campus. The association meets for forum every three weeks and takes positions on current issues affecting graduate students. Forum meetings are at 5:30 p.m. in the Ackerman Viewpoint Lounge.

Agenda

• The GSA forum voted to hold elections the second week of spring quarter to give students time to campaign and adjust to their classes. The proposal was approved unanimously.
  • Forum unanimously approved the new appointments to the GSA cabinet.
  • Newly elected officers were sworn into forum.

Officer reports:

• GSA President Mike Hirshman said he asked how tuition increases will affect graduate students, but did not receive a response.
  • Hirshman said he wants to continue the conversation regarding cost of living for graduate students. He added he met with Chancellor Gene Block to present preliminary survey data about the cost and said Block was open to looking into graduate student housing options.
  • Hirshman made closing statements about the future of the forum, its members and the importance of creating greater involvement, voter turnout and student engagement.
  • Ivy Onyeador, vice president of academic affairs, said she has been involved in revisions to electronic filing of dissertations, particularly regarding dissertation embargoes. Onyeador said there are currently only six-month, one-year and two-year embargoes, and some students want longer ones.
  • Onyeador said she is also involved in revising the filing fee, which allows students to avoid paying full tuition in their final quarters. The fee in intended to allow students to make minor revisions to their dissertations, but Onyeador said many students use it to continue studying.
  • Vice President of External Affairs Andres Schneider said he is in the process of creating an Excel sheet that includes survey results documenting how much students earn and the cost of their graduate housing.
  • Vice President of Internal Affairs Milan Chatterjee said he is impressed with the number and caliber of students who applied for appointments. The forum interviewed a total of 42 candidates and completed the appointment process.

Special presentations

• Helga Zambrano and Terrell Winder, representatives of Equity, Inclusion and Diversity Graduate Welcome Day, the graduate student orientation, presented to the forum asking for volunteers to help prepare for events.
  • Jackie Mak, a CALPIRG representative, presented to the GSA forum about the group’s past campaigns and funding. She also introduced current plans, such as the LA Go Solar!, Water Watch and Textbook Affordability campaigns.
  • Nathaniel Ross, external president of the GSA Math and Physical Sciences Council, presented a preliminary report of the graduate student housing affordability survey. Ross reported that 60 percent of students’ stipends are spent on rent. Ross said a full report will be available in the summer.

Compiled by Alejandra Reyes-Velarde, Bruin reporter.

Alejandra Reyes-Velarde | News editor
Reyes is the Daily Bruin's News editor and an Editorial Board member. Previously, she was the Science & Health editor covering research, the UCLA health system and graduate school news. She also writes Arts & Entertainment stories and photographs for the Bruin.