New water pipes to be installed under Sunset Boulevard, Hilgard Avenue

By Emeizni Mandagi

The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power will begin installing new water pipes under Sunset Boulevard and Hilgard Avenue next month, causing reduction of lanes on both streets and some other traffic-related changes.

The new pipes are part of LADWP’s plan to continue water delivery to communities affected by the installation of a cover over Upper Stone Canyon Reservoir, located north of UCLA, said David Karwaski, senior associate director of planning, policy and traffic systems for UCLA Transportation, in an email statement.

Recent changes to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency regulations prohibit open air reservoirs, demanding they must be covered, bypassed or removed from service, Karwaski said.

The project will cost $9 million and be funded by LADWP customers and a long-term bond program, said Vonda Paige, a LADWP spokeswoman.

The water pipeline will be approximately 385 feet long and 36 inches in diameter under Sunset Boulevard and Hilgard Avenue, Karwaski said.

The construction will be broken into phases to reduce traffic delay. UCLA Transportation and LADWP plan to work together to minimize the effect the construction will have on traffic, he added.

According to LADWP’s plan, phase one will include the reduction of Sunset Boulevard to one lane in each direction. Turns will not be allowed onto Hilgard Avenue from Sunset Boulevard during construction hours and will last until August.

Phase two, which will last from August to September, will reduce Hilgard Avenue between Sunset Boulevard and Comstock Avenue to one lane in each direction during construction hours.

Hilgard Avenue will be reduced to one lane in each direction south of Charing Cross Road during construction hours in phase three from September to January.

Metro bus lines 2/302, 234 and 734 will also be affected by the construction. According to the plan, proposed routes will avoid the traffic congestion by taking detours that avoid Hilgard Avenue.

Junhan Chen, a third-year economics student, said he is upset there will be construction because he worries it will increase congestion on Sunset Boulevard.

Some students, however, said they aren’t concerned by the anticipated traffic increases.

“The congestion is not convenient, but it is necessary,” said Jenna Maffucci, a fourth-year nursing student. “From the standpoint of getting somewhere, such as an internship or the grocery store, it is frustrating, but it is something to expect in L.A.”

Construction is set to begin on June 15.

Emeizni Mandagi