UCLA baseball completes 10-inning no-hitter over Arizona

Junior pitcher James Kaprielian (top) and senior closer David Berg (bottom) pitched a 10-inning no-hitter against Arizona. (Owen Emerson/Daily Bruin)

By Matt Joye

Since the UCLA baseball team started recording stats in 1974, the Bruins hadn’t thrown a no-hitter.

UCLA ended that drought Friday, and then some, in a 1-0 victory over Arizona.

Junior pitcher James Kaprielian pitched nine innings of no-hit ball, which wasn’t enough to secure the win initially. The game entered the 10th inning tied 0-0, and senior closer David Berg came in and inherited the no-hitter for UCLA.

Berg pitched a scoreless top of the 10th and the Bruins realized a 10-inning no hitter when redshirt junior shortstop Kevin Kramer hit a walk-off sacrifice fly to center field and redshirt junior outfielder Christoph Bono sprinted home to score the winning run.

Kaprielian’s final line was nine innings pitched, no hits, four walks and 11 strikeouts. Berg was awarded the win after pitching a scoreless, hitless 10th inning that included a strikeout and no walks.

The Bruins continue their series with the Wildcats Saturday at 4 p.m. at Jackie Robinson Stadium.

Compiled by Matthew Joye, Bruin Sports senior staff.

Matt Joye | Alumnus
Joye joined the Bruin as a sophomore transfer in 2013 and contributed until after he graduated in 2016. He was an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year and spent time on the football, men's basketball, baseball, softball, men's soccer, women's tennis, track and field and cross country beats.