UCLA Anderson School of Management receives $100M donation

UCLA officials announced a $100 million donation to the UCLA Anderson School of Management Wednesday. (Daily Bruin file photo)

By Jillian Frankel

The UCLA Anderson School of Management received a $100 million donation from Marion Anderson, wife of the business school’s namesake, UCLA announced Wednesday.

Marion Anderson donated the largest single amount the school has ever received, Chancellor Gene Block said in an email statement to the campus community Wednesday.

About $40 million of the donation will be used to construct a new building featuring modern technology and research centers, according to Block’s statement. The remaining $60 million will support academic research and other student needs at the business school.

Marion Anderson, wife of UCLA alumnus John E. Anderson, who died in 2011, said in a university statement that she made the donation in her husband’s honor, in support of the school.

The couple has donated a combined $142 million to the graduate school, including Wednesday’s donation. The donation will also count toward UCLA’s fundraising goal of $4.2 billion for the Centennial Campaign, which will continue until UCLA’s 100th anniversary in 2019. The university has raised about $1.9 billion so far.

So far, the graduate school has raised $183 million of its $300 million goal as part of a fundraising effort called “Into the Next: The Campaign for UCLA Anderson.”

Marion Anderson is currently chair of Topa Equities, a firm her husband established.

Compiled by Jillian Frankel, Bruin contributor.

Jillian Frankel