Spring Sing 2015: Eva B. Ross Foundation

Second-year history student Eva Barrosse (left) and second-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student David Miller make up the band Eva B. Ross Foundation and will perform their original song “Easy” at Spring Sing. (Miriam Bribiesca/Daily Bruin)

By Emaan Baqai

Almost two years after the formation of their duet and a year since they performed across Europe, Eva Barrosse and David Miller are embracing their newly fleshed out sound with their full band, the Eva B. Ross Foundation.

The Eva B. Ross Foundation will be the second act performing at Spring Sing 2015, with their original song, “Easy.”

Barrosse, a second-year history student, and Miller, a second-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, met in zero week of their first year at an open jam session, after which they quickly became friends and musical partners, Barrosse said. In a span of weeks, the duo had begun to produce content and videos together.

“We are great creative partners in that we are best friends,” Barrosse said. “David taught me more than anybody I’ve ever met, that if you want something you should just do it.”

The duet performed at weddings and clubs before deciding to seek out a full band in September 2014. The band became complete at the end of 2014 with a bassist, second-year classical bass performance student Jules Levy, and drummer, USC student Liam Kevany. Barrosse said she now enjoys the freedom that Levy and Kevany performing alongside them allows.

“I enjoy both, but when I’m in a duet I’m responsible for maintaining a rhythmn section, and it’s a lot more bassline- and chord-heavy,” Miller said. “When I’m in a band … I’m free to meddle around and respond to Eva’s voice and play.”

While Barrosse and Miller’s repertoire has not changed significantly since the addition of Levy and Kevany, Barrosse said she feels that the music has become more funky and soulful because of their contribution, which she previously described as pop, jazzy and sexy.

Barrosse, who writes and composes the band’s music, said she hopes that the Spring Sing audience can relate to the piece the band will perform. “Easy,” which was written about someone special to her, was completed when the band was deciding which song to present at Spring Sing auditions.

“I thought, I feel the most connected to this song, this is the most where I’m at right now, and so it’d be the most fun to perform,” Barrosse said. “When we’re playing for people, they’re usually singing it over and over because it’s catchy.”

The band plans to release six singles, which will include “Easy,” at separate intervals in the coming months following Spring Sing. The singles, which include “My Comedy,” “Oh Me” and “Nick’s House,” are all pieces Barrosse wrote in the last two years about her personal experiences and the band recorded at Sunset Sound recording studio in Hollywood.

The band regularly plays its singles and covers at venues such as The Mint nightclub, the Getty Center for College Night and The Treehouse on Strathmore Drive. However, the group has yet to present its Spring Sing number, which hadn’t been recorded previously because of dissatisfaction within the group. Miller said it ultimately ended up working in their favor because the band was able to perform the song at Spring Sing as a result.

“No joke, there’s probably been about six instances where we tried recording it and we’ve said, ‘No, this isn’t good enough,’ and never actually put it up,” Miller said.

As the band’s first performance for an audience this large, Barrosse said she is less nervous than excited for her Spring Sing performance. She looks forward to having an interactive performance with the audience.

“Come out and dance around. I mean that with all my heart. Anyone who wants to groove in any capacity is my best friend,” Barrosse said. “I’ll try not to do too many weird dance moves.”

Emaan Baqai | Alumna