Battle of the Editors: ‘Deflategate’ debated

By Claire Fahy and Tanner Walters

The NFL released its official report on the so-called “Deflategate” scandal last week. The report found that the New England Patriots used underinflated balls in its playoff victory over the Indianapolis Colts, after which the Patriots went on to claim Super Bowl XLIX. Quarterback Tom Brady was implicated in the scheme and suspended for four games, with his team fined $1 million and forced to forfeit its 2016 first-round draft pick and 2017 fourth-round draft pick. Daily Bruin Sports’ Claire Fahy and Tanner Walters break down the implications of these sanctions on the Patriots, Brady and the league.

How much will this really impact the Patriots?

Claire Fahy: The punishment falls short of truly disciplining a New England franchise, in particular Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who has long disregarded the rules en route to victory. Belichick, in his 15-year tenure as coach, has often drawn ire over his penchant for bending – and sometimes disregarding – rules. After winning the Super Bowl in 2004, the Patriots were fined money and draft picks for illegally taping the New York Jets. By continuing his questionable practices, Belichick proved that these consequences did little to stem his willingness to overlook regulations with a view toward winning.

Tanner Walters: Patriots owner Robert Kraft has already made strong statements that the team will fight the sanctions and Brady is appealing his suspension, but let’s be real: Even if the current punishments stand, New England is going to be fine when this is all said and done. Brady is replaceable for four games, draft-pick losses aren’t such a big deal for the reigning Super Bowl champions, and $1 million is nothing to an NFL franchise.

Were the Patriots and Brady aptly punished?

CF: The Patriots will forfeit chump change and two shots at the draft, obstacles that a program with the legacy of success and experience that New England has can easily surmount. The true punishment to the team is the poor publicity, as the program will no longer be able to conduct its affairs in the manner it used to because of increased public scrutiny and attention from the league’s administration. Similarly, Brady was brought up in the NFL under Belichick, furthering a corrupt culture within the franchise and the league at large. While it sends a message, his four-game suspension will do little to prevent the Patriots from engaging in similar scandals in the future.

TW: The NFL finally took a strong stand against the rule breakers in New England. Although I don’t believe the punishments will hurt the franchise’s on-field product in either the short or long term, the message has finally been sent: Actions that bend the established rules will no longer be given a free pass. Brady’s four-game suspension is a fair length for the main culprit named in Ted Wells’ report. Nobody knows for sure whether this will dissuade the Patriots from future infractions, but the Deflategate punishments seem to be fair.

What does the report and resulting punishment mean for the future of “gamesmanship”?

CF: Gamesmanship is present in all professional sports, not just football. The questions surrounding Deflategate pertain to professional athletic culture as a whole. The central distinction is: What is cheating and what is strategy? Belichick has long defended his practices, considering them to be the actions of smart coaching as opposed to corruption. Belichick has been caught before, but despite sanctions, has continued to carry on. The NFL has yet to take direct action against Belichick, punishing his team and his players but failing to address the root of the issue. As long as the perpetrators of gamesmanship are not individually disciplined, they will continue to forward this strategy.

TW: Brady and Belichick have an alleged history of gamesmanship that dates back to Super Bowl XXXVI in 2002, when Hall of Fame running back Marshall Faulk accused the Patriots of taping the St. Louis Rams’ practices. Those claims were fueled by “Spygate” in 2007 amid other scandals that developed out of Foxborough, Mass. While deflating a football for the sake of a better grip is likely not that big of a deal, the league has apparently grown tired of antics in 2015. NFL gamesmanship, at least in this day and age, will remain under intense scrutiny.

Claire Fahy | Alumna
Fahy joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2013 and contributed until she graduated in 2017. She was the Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2014-2015 academic year. Fahy spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's water polo, men's volleyball and swim and dive beats.
Tanner Walters | Alumnus
Walters joined the Bruin as a freshman in 2014 and contributed until he graduated in 2018. He was the Alumni director for the 2017-2018 academic year, Editor in Chief for the 2016-2017 academic year and an assistant Sports editor for the 2015-2016 academic year. Walter spent time on the football, men's basketball, men's volleyball, men's soccer, men's water polo and rowing beats.