Letter to the Editor: Opposition to Cornel West’s invitation misrepresented

By Judea Pearl

Dear Editor,

Your April 30 editorial, “UCLA made right call in keeping controversial speaker, despite pressure” misrepresents the nature of the controversy. It states: “Several Jewish organizations … sent the event’s organizers a letter urging them to pull (Cornel) West’s invitation because of his vocal criticism of Israel.” Not so. None of the 23 organizations on that letter asked that West’s invitation be pulled. Instead, the writers questioned the wisdom of inviting West, and my open letter to him explained why the invitation would be an embarrassment to the campus. It was.

Likewise, the allegation “vocal criticism of Israel” was not used by any of the writers. The issue was and remains West’s promoting an ideology that is openly anti-coexistence, calling for racist discrimination, if not genocidal designs.

Thirdly, it is unfair to characterize my letter as “pressure from outside groups” or “irresponsible, knee-jerk reaction.” The 23 organizations that questioned West’s invitation represent students and faculty on this campus who are not given voice through university-established channels. For example, both the “faculty voice” on UCLA Newsroom, and the event organizers’ websites declined to post my letter.

Finally, it is unwise to dismiss community voices as “pressure from outside groups.” These voices represent valuable experience and genuine concerns of parents, alumni and donors who have emotional investment in this campus. We should listen when friends express concerns over decisions e.g., West’s invitation that may cause harm to the reputation of the university, the credibility of its centers and public trust in the administration.

Respectfully,
Judea Pearl
Chancellor’s professor, UCLA

Judea Pearl