Trucking Around: Dogtown Dogs dishes out refreshing, Californian flavors

Dogtown Dogs offers hot dog sandwiches with a Southern California flare, including the “California Dog” (below). Served with a beef frank or a soy dog, the “California Dog” features avocado, arugula, tomatoes, fried onions and vinaigrette.
(Dogtown Dogs)

By Alisha Kapur

Food trucks are a vital part of the Los Angeles culinary scene, with many accumulating hordes of followers who aggressively pursue them around the city. The sheer magnitude of trucks can make dining choices difficult, but columnist Alisha Kapur has narrowed down 10 to try out and review. Join her as she goes across the city, experiencing everything from Korean barbecue tacos to gourmet ice cream, in an attempt to find the food trucks that are worth following.

In high school, my best friends and I would go to our favorite pub-style restaurant, Knuckleheads, in Wallingford, Conn., and split the same order repeatedly: a “Red Eye” hot dog. The hot dog is wrapped in bacon and topped with a fried egg and cheese, and despite the countless times we visited, we never tired of it.

I did not think I would find a similar dog anywhere else, but when I visited the Dogtown Dogs truck, its “Morning Commute” hot dog jumped out at me on the menu. It had all of the same ingredients except the cheese. I called my friends, unbelievably ecstatic about discovering my hometown dog in Los Angeles.

However, my excitement soon waned. The dog was much saltier than the version I was used to, and I noticed the absence of cheese immediately. Although the bun was toasted nicely, it felt impossible to eat the whole dog without a few cups of water.

Yet I did not give up on the truck. I also tried the “California Dog,” which blew me away. This dog consisted of avocado, arugula, basil aioli, tomatoes, fried onions and vinaigrette.

At first, I balked at the idea of eating such a healthy dog. Hot dogs, I previously thought, were meant for days when I want to pig out. Now, I’m not so sure.

Without the bacon in the “Morning Commute,” the dog was much less salty. The fresh produce on top gave an explosion of flavor. I usually stay away from vinaigrette, but the chefs put just the right amount on: enough to bring out the other flavors, but not so much that the dog seemed bitter.

The chefs were also generous with the avocado, and that, combined with the crispy fried onions, made the dog more indulgent than it would be with just the vegetables. They heaped arugula on the bun, so I could pretend I was being healthy, and the crunch made the whole experience refreshing.

I could imagine going for a jog and stopping for a “California Dog” on the way back without feeling guilty. As a twist on the standard hot dog, it provides an easy, portable meal with intense flavors. If you’re a vegetarian, you can transform this dog – and any of the other ones on the menu – into a soy dog.

The “California Dog” was worth its $6 price tag, but the “Morning Commute” was not. I felt satisfied after eating the “California Dog,” since it was loaded with interesting and delicious ingredients.

Dogtown Dogs should stick to what it knows, California-style food, and leave the bacon and eggs to other places, like my hometown pub.

Alisha Kapur

Do you know any food trucks in Los Angeles worth sampling? Email Kapur at [email protected].

Alisha Kapur