Chiao-Wen Lan

By Editorial Board

(Bailey Greene/Daily Bruin)
(Bailey Greene/Daily Bruin)

This board endorses Chiao-Wen Lan for vice president of internal affairs because of her past experience within the Graduate Students Association and her practical platforms.

As the current director for discretionary funding for GSA, Lan said she was able to successfully assess the financial needs of student groups. Because groups are often confused about how to apply for financing from GSA, she said she plans to update the association’s website to include a clear timeline and directions. She also hopes to let students apply for funding entirely online within her first month in office, a tangible goal that will make GSA money more accessible to students.

By using financial incentives, Lan said she also plans to encourage groups to make their events more sustainable. By satisfying certain requirements, such as using less paper and minimizing food waste, student groups applying for funding will be eligible for more money.

Lan also plans to revamp a graduate student interest committee as a way for students from different graduate schools to discuss pressing issues for the larger community. She hopes the committee can be a platform for students to address concerns about diversity issues on campus, though she did not mention any specific topics she wanted to address. Overall, the idea lacked focus and the board is concerned that it will not lead to any real change at the university.

When asked how she would improve graduate student interest in GSA, a persistent problem for the association, Lan offered no concrete solutions. She said she would meet with student leaders and councils from UCLA’s various graduate schools, but meetings without direction are not likely to lead any tangible change. As a candidate for vice president of internal affairs, Lan must take the issue of graduate student engagement more seriously, especially on issues like teaching hours and leave of absence policies which have the potential to affect the entire community.

Lan’s goals for next year are similar to that of presidential candidate and fellow Bruin Proud slate member Milan Chatterjee. While this bodes well for collaboration and completion of those similar initiatives, Lan also has to ensure that she carves her own place at the council table.

Ultimately, Lan’s platforms for the following year lack clear vision. She earns our endorsement because she is a qualified candidate with student government credentials, but this board encourages Lan to expand on her initial goals, most of which can currently be accomplished in just a few months.

Editorial Board