Submission: Forum to Reclaim Diversity invites community to change campus climate

By Kareem Elzein, Devin Murphy, Ayesha Khan, and Olufemi Taiwo

The results of the Moreno report and the campus climate survey have highlighted the extent to which members of the UCLA community feel marginalized in their social, academic and work environments. These reports, coupled with ongoing incidents of racism, sexism and other forms of oppression, necessitate immediate action and responsible leadership. Which begs several questions: Who will define what these terms mean, and which experiences will be recognized? Is campus commitment to diversity a real, tangible effort on behalf of the UCLA administration, or just another hollow promise? These questions are not just academic. In fact, our answers determine the allocation of resources to students, staff and faculty of color. They determine which classes are offered, which work and which workers are valued, and who perceives the campus space as safe and welcoming.

The recent passage of the diversity requirement in the faculty senate indicates changing attitudes on this campus toward the need for diversity work. Similarly, the hiring of Jerry Kang as the first vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion at UCLA is noteworthy. However, these advancements must be put in perspective. Nearly every other university in the UC system already has a similar diversity requirement and campus-wide diversity officer. These UC-wide developments have helped advance conversations around issues of oppression in academia, as well as in our local and national contexts. But these actions are first steps and, alone, are not enough to change a culture that marginalizes and fails many underrepresented groups.

In response, a group of students, faculty and staff are organizing the Forum to Reclaim Diversity at Pauley Pavilion on Thursday April 23, from 3 to 8 p.m. This forum seeks to bridge some of the divides between North Campus and South Campus, between students, staff, faculty and alumni, and to provide a space to collaborate in formulating a coordinated response to challenge and change campus climate. We as organizers of the event feel that changing this culture at UCLA requires institutional and grassroots efforts within and across campus communities, academic departments and administrative units. The people who work and study in these spaces should have input on these efforts, not just high-level administrators.

In this spirit, the forum features workshops and breakout sessions led by students, staff and faculty who are committed to changing campus climate through proactive programs. These interrelated projects and issues include the following workshops, as well as others: One session will be dedicated to improving the biased reporting system, since presently, there is no accurate representation of discrimination, bias and hate speech on campus. We will also discuss developing institutional mechanisms that recognize, retain and protect faculty of color and female faculty, especially those who mentor students from marginalized backgrounds and work toward educational equity. Another breakout will focus on organizers finding a better way to advocate for greater institutional funding and support for retention programs that facilitate the academic success of many students of color. Two sessions will be dedicated to addressing issues of marginalization and oppression of staff members such as sexual harassment, discrimination and exploitation.

The forum’s focal point is a workshop to develop a community letter addressed to Kang, the incoming vice chancellor of equity, diversity and inclusion. This letter will map out the various needs of our campus community and identify the types of resources and initiatives that our communities believe are necessary to see the changes to campus climate that we envision. The event organizers will reach out to students, staff and faculty groups to join as signatories on this document, in hopes of approaching a community consensus that will both support institutional diversity efforts, while also establishing a standard to hold the institution accountable to.

The patchwork nature of diversity efforts across campus make this forum a critical opportunity to engage in conversations and collaborations across campus and constituencies. If we are serious about diversity, we must collectively redefine the term so that it is demonstrative of equitable inclusiveness and courageous advocacy.

Without your voice, this forum cannot help implement the changes you wish to actualize for our community. Please join our initiative, because without your voice, we miss out on your valuable perspectives and experiences, and UCLA will continue to sidestep the issue of racial intolerance.

Khan is a fourth-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student. Murphy is a fourth-year political science and African American studies student. Elzein is a graduate student of education. Taiwo is a graduate student of philosophy. Hong is an Asian American studies and gender studies associate professor.

Kareem Elzein