Offensive posters found on campus accuse SJP of supporting terror groups

By Sam Hoff

This post was updated on April 16 at 9:35 p.m.

Students reported finding several offensive posters on campus early Thursday that describe the group Students for Justice in Palestine as supporting terror groups, less than two months after posters with similar messages were reported across campus.

The posters, found near the De Neve area, read “Stop SJP” and claimed the organization supports groups that oppress women, kill gay individuals and persecute Christians.

Ayesha Khan, a member of Students for Justice in Palestine and a fourth-year microbiology, immunology and molecular genetics student, said the organization expected the posters because the group behind the February posters had hinted that it would hold a week of action in April.

She said Students for Justice in Palestine members think the posters target them unfairly. She added that members would like campus administrators to speak out against the posters.

The posters were made by the David Horowitz Freedom Center, an organization behind a campaign titled “Jew Hatred on Campus.” Conservative writer David Horowitz runs the campaign website, which alleges that UCLA is one of the nation’s most anti-Semitic schools.

Horowitz said he had the posters made and distributed to criticize Students for Justice in Palestine, which he described as a “campus hate group.”

“(SJP) is a Jew-hating group,” Horowitz said. “They have one aim: to destroy the Jewish state.”

Horowitz said in a Jewish Journal interview in February he put up other posters criticizing Students for Justice in Palestine. The February posters depicted men with assault rifles standing over a masked man and named the student group with “#JewHaters” written below it.

In an interview with The Bruin soon after the February posters were discovered, Horowitz said he had no connection with them.

University officials started investigating the February posters soon after they were posted, but Horowitz was never arrested in connection with them.

The student group released a statement in response to the previous posters, saying it saw them as hate speech and as damaging to the campus environment.

Students for Justice in Palestine has sponsored two controversial resolutions over the past two years urging the Undergraduate Students Association Council to encourage the University of California to divest from companies that some say profit from human rights violations in the West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Compiled by Sam Hoff and Erin Donnelly, Bruin senior staff.

Sam Hoff | Alumnus