Academic Senate hosts interest meeting for student appointments

Appointments Informational Meeting Where: Royce Hall, Room 154 When: Thursday, 7:30 p.m.

By Laurel Scott

Students interested in representing the student body in the UCLA Academic Senate can learn more about the position at an interest meeting Thursday at 7:30 p.m. in Royce Hall room 154, held by an undergraduate student government office.

The Undergraduate Students Association Council Academic Affairs Commission will appoint 27 students to 18 different committees in the Academic Senate, said Meredith Duncan, executive director of appointments for the commission.

The Academic Senate is a faculty governing body for the university in which faculty can vote on curriculum decisions and other topics affecting UCLA academics and requirements. It also serves as an advisory body to the administration.

Student appointments to the Academic Senate act as advocates for the student body on a variety of issues, such as curriculum, planning and budgetary review, according to the commission website. Students serve on these committees for a term of one year.

“You can really get involved in a committee that suits your interests,” said Duncan, a third-year psychology student. “Student appointments represent a broad range of groups and opinions, and their goal is to represent the student body.”

The applications for the student appointments will not be released until later this year, but the interest meeting will provide information about the different appointments available to students, which include appointments on committees for admissions, intercollegiate athletics and international education, Duncan said.

The event will also include presentations from faculty members on the Academic Senate, sharing their perspectives on why students should apply for the appointments, according to the information session’s website.

Compiled by Laurel Scott, Bruin contributor.

Laurel Scott